Skip to the content
- Where are you?
- Busy. As the previous diary entries have mentioned in passing, I’m spending five hours each weekday commuting from Letchworth to Bedford and back. Since this starts at 6am and ends at 8pm, I have about two hours a day to eat, catch up on email/groups and not go insane. Everything except work and learning to drive is taking a back seat until I fix this mess.
- Why does it take two and a half hours?
- Because it takes half an hour to walk to the bus stop, ten minutes to get to Hitchin, twenty minutes before the bus to Bedford arrives, an hour to Bedford, and that gets me into Bedford half an hour before work. So it’s a combination of “Fuck of a long way” and “Lack of joined-up transport”. Incidentally, this takes me over three different bus company’s routes, meaning I can’t ever just buy one ticket.
The train, just for all the people who don’t belive I thought though all the possibilities before resigning myself to getting up at 5am, takes even longer and goes via london.
Going by car takes half an hour.
- So why don’t you just do things at the weekend?
- Ironically, that doesn’t work either. I can’t do anything that will catch anyone’s notice on the weekend, because it appears that most of my readership do so from work, and anything that appears on a saturday or sunday has completely fallen off the radar by Monday morning
- So, what are you doing instead?
- I am playing Neverwinter Nights, City of Heroes and various other things while at home, and reading the entire works of Agatha Christie during the ample reading time my life has offered me.
- Don’t you find it ironic that your MP3 player – which kept you sane during the time you were spending two hours a day commuting to London – decided to join the choir invisible just before you started the new job?
- Ironic is one word for it
- You should buy an iPod
- That is not a question
- Shouldn’t you buy a replacement MP3 player, for example an iPod?
- Yes, because I’m sure that County Properties will not mind if I don’t bother paying my rent for a month, after all, it is for a worthy cause.
- That was sarcasm, wasn’t it?
- Yes, Yes it was.
- Well, if you’re going to be sarcastic, sod off and carve pumpkins, make pumpkin soup and pie, and do other halloween related activities
- Thank you, I will.
- By the way, is it true you went to a halloween costume party with a white sheet with eye holes in it, and went as a ghost?
- Actually, yes, that is true.
- Isn’t that a bit of a crap costume?
- Well done, have a point. Lonecat’s costume was better