[blogite] Pingback spam

From: Stuart Langridge (aquarius-lists@kryogenix.org)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 12:53:15 BST

Text from http://www.kryogenix.org/days/000319.cas:
Sam Rowe complains that the Pingback spec doesn't have any way to
prevent spam or DoS attacks by repeatedly hitting a Pingback server.
Now, the DoS suggestions is true but irrelevant, because you can DoS a
server by just repeatedly hitting one of its web pages; Pingback is
nothing special in this regard, and doesn't fix the problem because
it's a problem inherent in serving stuff over a web server; it's
Apache's problem, not Pingback's. The spam suggestion is a little more
worrying, but it's something that we've discussed before (although I
can't find a reference to it) -- essentially, you can spam someone's
referrer logs the same way, and a referrer log display routine like,
say, Mark Pilgrim's, will have the same problems unless it filters
server-side to cater for this. I don't see it as a major problem, in
short.

Didn't we discuss this problem and resolve it?

sil

--
from string import *;import re,base64;w=base64.decodestring('YXF1YXJp'+
'dXNAa3J5b2dlbml4Lm9yZw==');u='['+lowercase+']';print re.sub(u,'-',w)